It's hard to believe it's been one year since our little "JEM" (Jocelyn Emma Murphy) arrived in our lives. I wish I would have kept a blog this whole time. So for now, I'll have to play catch up on the first year. When Jocelyn is older, she can one day read this for herself.
The first year has been educational, tiring, challenging, and most of all amazing! I truly can't wait to pick up or come home to Jossie and see her expression when she sees me. My heart melts every time. When everyone told me the time would fly by, I expected that. However, the first year went by even faster than I ever could have imagined.
Right before she arrived:
After being late 8 days, I thought this baby was going to make me wait a full 2 weeks after my due date. The doctor had scared me during my last visit, saying the baby was 8lbs.. I thought a few more days and growing, I would really be in trouble! After walking and walking around the neighborhood and going for spicy food, it finally paid off. Late in the evening I had a feeling I may be having contractions. You might be thinking, 'might be thinking'? Yes, I wasn't sure at first. I told Todd I thought it was starting, but then the contractions were all over the place. Then they stopped. I was anxious, excited, and of course a little scared. They soon started up again and continued to get stronger. And then I knew - there was no question!! Contractions continued throughout the night.
The day she arrived:
Sept 10, 2009 6:00am I told Todd, the contractions were stronger. I waited at home for as long as possible. Todd wanted to go to the hospital and asked a few times, "Can we go now?". At 8am I called the doctor and told them it was time. They told me to come in the office. By the time I got in the car, the contractions were stronger and stronger!
By the time we were on our way, I was second guessing my choice to go to the doctor and was asking Todd if we should go to the hospital instead. After back and forth, wincing, eye closing, deep breathing, and holding on to the car strap, I decided to go to the doctor's office (who is 5 minutes from the hospital). All I remember about the car ride is telling Todd to get there faster! And I remember wincing each time we went over a bump, to which his reply the whole ride was, "Sorry, Sorry, Sorry.".
I get into the office and having a strong contraction, I had to stop in my tracks and breathe. After the contraction was over, I realize my hair is insane and there are women in the waiting room a few months pregnant looking at me with a concerned look. The doctor said I am 7 close to 8 centimeters dilated and get to the hospital now!
At the hospital in labor I wondered why anybody would have more than one child. This labor thing is painful!!!
I'll skip the rest of the labor story except to say that after the baby's heart rate dropped they decided to do a c-section. After the baby was born and they said everything was okay - I heard HER cry! A girl, 90% of everyone guessed I was having a boy. Todd went over as they were cleaning her off and took pictures. He would come to me and show me. After a few minutes, they brought her over to me and I was flooded with emotion. As they brought her face to mine, I cried.... well, like a baby - and she stopped crying. It was truly an amazing feeling. As they finished up surgery, Jocelyn was taken up to the maternity ward. On her way up, her extended family was able to ride in the elevator with her.
Born Sept 10, 2009 at 2:38pm weighing in at 7lbs 10oz and 20 inches long
After visiting hours I got to hold her for the first time. It is hard to explain in words how I felt. I couldn't believe she was here. To put in simply, it felt perfect. She had red hair and looked like a little china doll. It was a hard day and in the end the pain was 100% worth it and I knew I would do it again in a second.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment